Saturday 12 March 2011

Past Times

Idly scanning through the Empire Online Forums last night, I stumbled across a very old posting of mine - from way back in the mists of time, practically before recorded history began. I wrote it in May 2006. Original post as follows:-


"Just a quick thought: Are there any films that if your new boy/girlfriend didn't like, you'd seriously reconsider your attraction to them..? I'd have to really, really think about a guy who hated The Lost Boys. Largely because I like to watch it so often that, if potential new boyfriend didn't like it, we'd never be able to live together harmoniously. Also The Usual Suspects. Anyone who can't see how fantastic a film that is just isn't for me! And Leon. Love me, love my films about vaguely paedophilic assassins."

I've been with the Boyfriend now for over a year (15 and a bit months for those who favour precision. ...Okay, that's me) and I find it amusing to read that post now, because not only have I not watched any of those films with Boyfriend, but I've not actually watched any of them in the last two years. Don't misinterpret, I still love those films (The Usual Suspects is, was and always will be one of the greatest films of all time in my geeky opinion). I've just not revisited those classics in a good long while.

Boyfriend has actually expressed his hatred for The Lost Boys, and not only have I not dumped him because of it, it has not affected my life at all. I feel like I've mellowed in my old age and this has, in turn, let down my younger, geekier, past self. Future Winskillfull is a serious disappointment to Past Winskillfull.

Movies are still very much a massive part of my life - and I am gradually acclimatising Boyfriend to the idea of wanting to go to the cinema, then seeing what's showing, and picking the film you want to see most out of what's on offer. Boyfriend is a traditionalist: he waits until cinemas are screening a film he's already heard of and wants to see. Phillistine. But he's currently watching every single episode of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer with me, in order, so swings and roundabouts.

It just made me reflect on how much more willing to compromise I am: which you may doubt, if you've only known me in the last couple years. But seriously: mellowed.

1 comment:

  1. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete